Maritzburg Golf Club was established on the 24th February, 1886 and the first official competition held in South Africa was played by its members on Monday the 14th June, 1886.
Maritzburg Golf Club built the first golf course in our country and is recognised as the second oldest Golf Club or more aptly, the oldest playing Club in South Africa.
The Pietermaritzburg daily newspaper, The Natal Witness (Established in 1846) covered these events of the Club in the early years including the practice round (on Saturday 5th June 1886) nine days before the official arranged competition.
Maritzburg Golf Club is proud of its history and traditions and the year 2011 marks the 125th anniversary of the Club. A book on the history of the Club has been compiled and written to commemorate this milestone.
In the prosperous and growing city of Pietermaritzburg, over the years it was found necessary for the city council to move the Maritzburg Golf Club course on 3 occasions. In December 1969, the club moved from the Scottsville course to the current site. A championship course layout was designed by Bob Grimsdell at Hay Paddock which today is better known as Hayfields.
- 1886 – 1888 – Maritzburgs first golf course was situated on the outspan beyond Victoria Bridge. An article from a The Natal Witness stated that the golf course started in the vicinity of the present Scottsville Race Course and extended to where the University now stands. The course consisted of 12 holes and the first competition was won by Mr. G. Adamson.
- 1889 – 1910 – MGC`s second course was located in the Alexandra Park, Maritzburg college and Parkside area.
- 1910 – 1969 – The third course was an 18 hole course situated alongside Golf Road, onsite where a section of the University is now located.
- 1969 to date – The 18 hole course was moved to where it currently lies in Hayfields. The first competition was played 3 December 1969.